Covenant is an Earth Care Congregation, designated as such by the PCUSA for its work related to stewardship of the Earth. (Please click on the link above for more information) The Green Dream Team is the Covenant ministry that coordinates these efforts. The Green Dream Team raises awareness about environmental and ecological impacts created not only by actions in our own homes and in our church home, but also in the larger communities in which we reside, including the global one. The Green Dream Team shares articles, current events, and practical tips with the larger congregation and promotes opportunities for all to act responsibly toward the planet. Current team members include Barbara Burnett, Jere Bowden, June Meyers, Caren Snook. Contact them if you would like to learn more!
The Green Dream Team also oversees Covenant’s TerraCycle (click on this link for more information) program, which allows a large catalog of specific (and quite surprising!) items to be collected and sent to TerraCycle. Instead of getting landfilled, these items are recycled or upcycled and our church gets TerraCycle points which are redeemed in order to pay for recyclables not eligible for free shipping.
To make it easy for everyone, acceptable items can be placed in the appropriate bins in the TerraCycle Collection Area near the church’s main entrance. The Green Dream Team takes it from there – doing all the appropriate packing and shipping to the TerraCycle company!
All brands and sizes of the following are accepted, unless otherwise noted:
- Candy bags and wrappers – plastic and aluminum only, NO PAPER
- Cereal bags and liners from boxes of cereal – plastic only
- Cheese bags and wrappers – plastic only
- Chip and snack bags – stiff, crinkly plastic only
- Personal care bottles, tubes, jars, etc – as from shampoo, liquid soap, body wash, creams, lotions, lipstick, lip balm, including brushes, plastic only, NO GLASS
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes and caps, dental floss containers
- Batteries are recycled locally. Please note that 9-volt batteries should be put into the egg carton (to prevent fire) All other batteries should be put into the top drawer.